Thursday, August 15, 2013

Writing challenge

I have decided to write about this little guy:




I cannot take credit for drawing this, it was done by someone on a site that I frequent.  She invited anyone who likes to write to do this. She gave us the following scene: 

"Let's set the scene first. I'm a fanatic who's collecting newspaper clippings and articles about strange occurences: plushies being found in cases of missing people; people who the public dismissed as insane have told of animals, insignificant people, etc turning into plushies; and mysterious groups who claim that the world is going to end at the hand of a certain plushie. 

Your challenge? 

You're a journalist, reporter, editor, freelance writer, etc and you're writing about one of these incidences (or another if you so choose. Your imagination is the limit ;D). You can write it as an article, editorial, in code, a police report, an old song/poem written thousands of years ago. It's up to you. 

I will do all the formatting so don't worry about that =) Length doesn't matter either~ 


Info about Horus: 
Horus is the man (or plushie) behind the action. Picture here. He does not talk and he no one will ever see how he moves. He just randomly appears in places. It's unclear whether how he chooses his victims, but it is a permanent thing. Once you turn into a plushie, there's no going back. 

To turn into a plushie, the victim must look into his eye. Here's a sample passage of a transformation: 

He thought it was a pity that the doll was missing an eye. The one it had was so… alluring. Leaning in to get a closer look, the backdrop of the store slowly slipped away until only the eye of the plushie remained. There were no other feelings, thoughts, or reactions. Simply the emerald button eye."



This just fascinates me for some reason, so I've decided to write a small passage on it.


How did this all start? I Amy, never intended to become a fanatic of this particular thing. It first started as a hobby, but now I think it means something more. It spared me for some reason. When I had heard of a particular plushie always showing up at crime scenes that involved missing people, I started saving those newspaper clippings and printed out articles that involved it. I was hoping to see if I could connect the stories somehow and solve the mystery. I wasn't even trying to stumble across it, but I did. 

The plushie without a name

It happened in a cabin that I own in the woods. I use it as an escape to do whatever I want. I wasn't even thinking about the plushie. I stopped collecting articles and accounts from people that claim they've seen it, it just slipped off of my to-do list because it didn't seem important anymore. 

The main reason I bought this cabin is because it has internet and a signal so I can look at my phone. You might think that's the opposite of being alone, but what if some emergency comes up? What if I want to write about something, but can't because I don't have adequate resources? Anyway, I was taking a break from a picture that I was painting and looked at pictures on my phone. I wanted to see if there was a picture of a drawing that I wanted to send to my Mom. Suddenly I came across a photo of the plushie, the plushie missing an eye. My muscles started to tense up, like when you know a scary scene is coming up in a movie.

Then I looked up. 

Nothing. 

Okay, I think I'm just paranoid, but why am I so afraid? No one can either confirm on deny that this plushie really is dangerous. Lots of people pass it off as coincidence, because there is a company that specifically makes unique plushies that are only released in stores for a limited time. They're very popular collector items. Everyone and anyone that is a plushie collector buys at least one of the company's limited edition plushies, there must be several of these plushies all around the world. 

The light switched off suddenly, which caused me to gasp really loud. I fumbled around in the dark and found a light switch, but it wouldn't turn on. There has to be a fuse box in here somewhere.  With my phone as my only light source, I found the fuse box and turned on the lights. 

I was walking to my bed when suddenly I tripped over something. My face must have been bright red, I mean, really? Of all the annoying things to happen this has...to...happen

to

me?

I was staring straight into the plushie's eyes, but nothing was happening. The staring match seemed to go on for hours. 

Then I blinked, and it was gone. All that was left behind was an emerald button. I gingerly picked it up and examined it. What was I supposed to do now? Nothing but 'whys' were running through my head. I put the button in my pocket and booted up my computer. I thought I saw a figure out of the corner of my eye. 

...

Nope, I guess it was nothing. 

It was time to do some research.


~End


No comments:

Post a Comment