Friday, August 2, 2013

An ode to cookware

This past school year I went to a multicultural youth conference at a conference center. (Where else would you have a conference?)  There were a few workshops things with other activities, I will not go into the activities except one particular workshop. It was run by a slam poet/motivational speaker named Joaquin Zihuatanejo.

He talked about writing, and what we can do to improve it, from what I remember. 
What I remember the most is he talked a little bit about poetry, and good ways to start it. He then challenged us to start a poem with 'so much depends upon.' We had five minutes to write it, and he would take volunteers to read them to the people in the room. This is the poem I wrote for it:

So much depends 
upon
cooking utensils
They feed me 
day after endless day
try cooking without
an 
essential tool
like a wok
a skillet
a spatula
What do we do with them?
take care of them
Sharpen your knife 
hand dry your silverware
never let it rust
These tools will serve you for a lifetime
Maybe we should apply this to other people
How much better
would the world be
if our language, our morals
were as sharp and precise as that kitchen knife.

I read it in front of a sizable crowd and Joaquin. I received what adulation from the crowd and the Joaquin. I haven't since edited the poem at all, so it's exactly how I wrote it a few months ago.  I must say I'm very proud of it, and hope that I can see Joaquin again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment